How was your first day of Chinese New Year?! Had lots of food and snacks? Collected lots of angpow? That's great! Anyway, I thought I'll share with you a recipe of one of my favourite desserts.
Honeydew Sai Mai Lo (Honeydew Sago Dessert)
It makes such a great dessert during the summer months because it is really cooling and refreshing.
Hope you'll enjoy this dessert as much as we did :)
All you need are:
1/2 of honeydew
3/4 cup of sago (Tapioca Pearls) - Coles sells it.
1 cup of coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
8 cups of water
All you need to do:
1) Boil water, when it is boiling,
Add in the sago.
Stir every once a while, otherwise it'll stick. Boil for 10-15 minutes, till the sago turns translucent.
*Make sure not to over boil it. As long as most of the sago is translucent, you can stop boiling it.
2) Rinse sago thoroughly with cold water in a strainer. Set aside.
3) In a pot, boil the sugar and water till the sugar is dissolved and becomes a syrup. Set aside to cool.
4) Chop the melon in two,
and blend one of it in a blender until it becomes a puree. Set aside.
5) Use a melon ball scoop or chop the remaining honeydew in to small cubes. Set aside.
6) Add the puree, chopped honeydew, sago and coconut milk into a large bowl. Mix.
7) Add the syrup into the bowl to taste (depending on how sweet you want it) and mix properly.
8) Cover with wrap and chill it in the fridge for about 3 to 5 hours.