I made some the other day..I can't remember where I took this recipe from.
It turned out alright for a first-timer. But I felt that the taste wasn't as aromatic enough. But texture is there.
Might be a certain technique that I have to master when the boiling sugar :)
There wasn't burnt sugar smell because I had it on a very low heat.
Anyway, here is a photo of it :)
160g condensed milk
180g all-purpose flour
2½ tsp baking soda
1. In a saucepan over low heat, caramelize the sugar until it turns a dark golden brown.
2. Slowly and carefully pour the water into the caramel. CAUTION! The caramel is very hot and the water will quickly boil and steam. Stir until the caramel is dissolved in the water and it becomes a thin syrup. Remove from heat.
3. Add the butter and set the pan aside to cool.
4. Preheat oven to 175C.
5. Mix together the egg and condensed milk in a bowl.
6. Sift the flour and baking soda together into the egg and milk. Mix well.
7. Pour the caramel butter sauce into the batter and mix well.
8. Pour the batter into a greased, 9-inch round cake pan. Let it sit for 5 minutes for the bubbles to begin developing.
9. Bake at 175*C for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.